SMSTS – 5 Day Course
The 5 day SMSTS Course is aimed at existing Site Managers, others involved with Site Management within the Construction industry and those wishing to become Site Managers; for example, Site Supervisors or others in training to become Site Managers.
The 5 day SMSTS course is a tutor led, classroom based training course, which is run through a national network of CITB approved training providers.
– The legal background to safe site management and awareness of regulations.
– Safe set-up on site, CDM regulations, assessments of risk and raising method statements.
– Safety considerations in different operational scenarios including scaffolding and working at heights, demolition works, electrical works, excavations and confined spaces.
– Accident reporting and reporting requirements under the RIDDOR regulations.
– Maintaining a positive health and safety culture within the workplace, best practice and communications.
To pass the SMSTS course, delgates must:
– Complete all of the course days.
– Successfully interact with the class and pass exercises set during the course.
– Complete and pass a multiple choice assessment at the end of the course.
– Candidates that successfully pass the course will achieve a certificate that is valid for 5 years.
SSSTS – 2 Day Course
The 2 day SSSTS course is aimed at Site Supervisors or those who are in training to become Site Supervisors. This course will therefore be applicable to team leaders, gangers and site foremen working on site.
Whilst the SMSTS course is designed for those who have management responsibility for a construction site, the SSSTS course is for those who only have a supervisory role for their team.
As the SSSTS course is a short course, most courses run over two consecutive days. However, on some public courses, there may be options for day release or even weekend training.
The structure of the 2 day SSSTS course includes:
– An understanding of health and safety duties and legal responsibilities relating to supervisors on site.
– How site supervisors can contribute to safe supervision and monitoring function on site.
– An appreciation of how the supervisory role interacts with the role of the Site Manager in maintaining safety on site.
– Risk assessments and method statement briefings, site inductions and toolbox talks.
The SSSTS course is a 2 day tutor led, classroom based training course. As with other Site Safety Plus courses, the SSSTS course if run through a national network of CITB approved training providers working out of accredited centres. SSSTS courses can be attended as public courses at venues arranged by the training provider however, the option also exists to run a dedicated course at a customers own venue if there are enough delegates to justify this. For both open courses, the CITB scheme rules specify classroom sizes to be at least 6 delegates and no more than 20 delegates.
To pass the SSSTS course, delegates must attend both days of the course and successfully pass a multiple choice questionnaire at the end of the course.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a certificate that is valid for 5 years.